Monday 26 September 2011

10 reasons I should not watch Junior MasterChef

While I am fully aware that I am not Australia's next MasterChef, I do enjoy watching television programs that have the word "MasterChef" in the title.

Case in point: Junior MasterChef.

The 2011 season of Junior MasterChef kicked off last night.

I have mixed emotions about Junior MasterChef.

I watch it, but it feels wrong.

I decided to work through my feelings and, in doing so, identified ten reasons I should not watch Junior MasterChef:

1. I cry when a contestant hugs his/her Mum.

2. I cry again when a contestant hugs his/her Nana.

3. I cry, yet again, when a contestant forgets to turn on the oven.

4. I get mad when a contestant uses the word, "acidity".

5. I get very mad when a contestant uses the word, "caramelisation".

6. I get very very mad when a contestant says, "Nicely done" to a judge cracking open a lobster.

7. I am perplexed by a contestant who makes pasta 2 - 3 times per week. Two words for her: Latina Fresh.

8. I feel disappointed in my own dinner - lamb chops with steamed vegetables (prepared in 12 minutes).

9. I feel very disappointed in my own dessert - Goulburn Valley fruit cup (prepared in 0 minutes).

10. I look at the 5 month old Miss E and wonder how long it will be before she can prepare a Spinach & Feta Beef Roast with Jus, Parsnip & Potato Mash, Roasted Truss Tomatoes & Broccolini.

My three key points:

1. Young children competing on television is both wrong and compelling.

2. It is possible to have too many feelings.

3. Where can I get one of those Junior MasterChef aprons for Miss E?

1 comment:

  1. This is great Suse. The way I cope is forget they are kids and just enjoy the food. I think it's another perfect example of competitive mother's 'training up' their kids for the show. I can remember cooking with my Mum and Nanna when I was 6 and 7, making Anzac biscuits, fruit salad and savoury mince. That's about it. There's was no need to cook that other fancy stuff. That was what Mum was for! LOL

    Anne @ Domesblissity xx
    (Popping over from Digital Parents)

    ReplyDelete