Saturday 24 September 2011

Polite fury unleashed on gardener

Late last week, Miss E and I were enjoying some quiet time when I noticed, what appeared to be, a hole in the bedroom window. It was not a massive, London-riots style hole, but still, it appeared to be a hole in the window.

I immediately investigated. At first, I could not believe it was a hole. I touched it. The tip of my finger was outside! No!

Using powers of deduction honed through the many hours of my childhood spent reading Trixie Belden and watching Murder She Wrote with my Nana, I quickly identified the culprit.

It was: The Gardener in the Garden with the Whipper Snipper.

I quickly tracked down the phone number for the gardener for our block of units and I prepared to unleash my fury on him.

Now, I should explain. My fury, even when it has been unleashed, is quite a polite fury. But, still, it is fury.

The conversation went like this:

My polite fury: Oh, hello Gardener! You appear to have made a hole in our window. Please come. Please resolve the hole situation!
Mild-mannered Gardener: No worries.

Oh. That was easy. I guess my fury showed him.

So, he came. He came the next day to investigate. He was lovely. He explained that this was only the second time that this had happened in twenty-seven years of gardening.

He returned this Wednesday with his gardening offsider. They expressed concern for the sleeping Miss E who was in the room requiring the new glass. We all agreed it would be wise to move her into her pram. They replaced the glass themselves. Apparently, gardeners are also glaziers.

He will be returning next week to touch up the window frame paint that got a little chipped.

My fury is now back on its leash.

That'll do, fury, that'll do.

My three key points:

1. Broken glass is bad news. While I enjoy the Annie Lennox ditty, "Walking On Broken Glass", I do not like to actually walk on broken glass.

2. Accidents happen. Especially when using a whipper snipper.

3. Polite fury can be effective. Unleash your polite fury once in a while.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. you go girl! you showed them gardeners!! i personally have been banned from using the whipper snipper at our home apparently it is best for all if i just leave it alone. this is also the case for all electrical or petrol powered tools for our garden. maybe i should get them out and show my fury on the garden - yeh!

    ReplyDelete