Friday 16 September 2011

Thermomixing it up

Last night, I left the house. Yes, I did. I left the house, on my own and it was night-time. I have only achieved this twice (and I am including last night in that count) since Miss E was born five months ago.

I jumped in the car and headed off to the home of a fellow mum and member of the same mothers' group. I had been invited to attend a Thermomix demonstration.

I had never heard of this Thermomix contraption before but a quick Google revealed that it is "the world's most advanced kitchen appliance".

Interesting.

Before leaving the house...
Mr. B: Should I keep your credit card here with me? Ha ha ha!
Me: No. Ha ha ha!

At the Thermomix demonstration...
Me: Oh, this is amazing!
Me: Oh, the kids would love this! (NB: I only have one child and she doesn't eat solid food yet).
Me: I WOULD love to make my own stock!

The Thermomix truly was amazing. I swear, at one point, the demo lady threw in a whole apple and produced a coleslaw with homemade mayonnaise.

The Thermomix was also pricey. I would have to sell our fridge, oven, dishwasher and microwave to fund the purchase.

Before the credit card could come to any real danger, Mr. B called to advise that we had a Priority 1 at home (i.e. Miss E was initiating the grizzling process and was escalating to her alarm cry at a rapid rate).

On returning home and while working to resolve the Priority 1, I watched part of The Gruen Transfer.

A comment was made that advertising attempts to achieve this equation: Actual Self + Brand = Ideal Self.

The Thermomix demo was definitely appealing to my Ideal Self. My Ideal Self would happily produce strawberry sorbet and homebaked bread on a regular basis. My Actual Self could not justify this purchase.

So, my three key points:

1. Thermomix is amazing. If you ever see one in action, prepare to be amazed. Apple to coleslaw. I still don't know how she did that.

2. Thermomix is expensive. Leave your credit card at home if your tired Actual Self can be swayed by a convincing demo lady who is feeding you.

3. Leaving the house on one's own, at night-time is exciting. Do it once in a while.

5 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by the Thermomix and would love to see one in action! The price is ridiculous, but probably warranted given you wouldn't need to have a cake mixer, food processor, slow cooker etc. How much were they offering it for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gayle - your fascination is justified :)
    It was cool! She threw in some ice, raw sugar and strawberries and in a couple of minutes, she produced strawberry sorbet!! Then she threw in a tin of chickpeas, some garlic, and lemon juice... hommus! When I left a mushroom risotto was cooking. It was approx. $1900. The demonstrator was lovely and very professional. Let me know if you'd like her details and I can give them to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just found you through Digital Parents. Love love love your writing and your blog. Will be lurking round for a while. Oh, I have a Thermomix. It's good. But... well...perhaps it's just me, you can do without it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't allowed myself go to a Thermomix party as I am not sure I could control myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kate! I believe you that it is good. I ate some chocolate cake this week that had been prepared in a Thermomix and it was like it was cake from heaven. Loved it.

    PlanningQueen - you are a wise, wise woman.

    ReplyDelete